Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I really do love springtime

All the flowers in the house are cheering me up immensely, I think. There's a vase full of yellow roses on the counter, vases with tulip bulbs in bloom all over various parts of the house, and a mini garden of daffodils outside. It's nice. In fact, since I have to have written 1000 lines of poetry by the end of this month, I wrote a sonnet about spring. It's pretty cliche, but I'm proud because it fits all the specific requirements of a sonnet: it's 14 lines, the rhyme scheme is abab/bcbc/cdcd/ee, and each line is 10 syllables and in iambic pentameter. I sound like such a nerd. but i'm proud of it!

the plum and cherry trees are born anew,
their beauty is forgotten until spring
the virgin blooms flinch back from icy dew
that on reluctant winter branches cling.
in winter morning air the bluebirds sing,
they sense the gentle rising of the sun
she shows her quiet face with warmth to bring
against the frigid winter moon she's won.
a ray of light falls where there once was none,
illuminates a bud that's lone and still
and once the spring's unfailing work is done
her hand has formed a thousand daffodils.

eventually she withers, fades and dies,
she can't endure the heat despite her tries.


1 comment: